Metallurgy and mineral processing
|Group of educational programs||UNT subjects|
|B071 Mining and mineral extraction||Math - Physics|
How to fill in the application to participate in state grant contest?
1. Before applying, select your favorite educational program at Satbayev University, corresponding to the relevant subjects in which you passed UNT.
2. Write down for yourself the code (column “Groups of educational programs” in the table) of the group of educational programs that includes the program you have chosen.
3. Indicate the group code and code of Satbayev University (Kazakh National Research Technical University named after K.I. Satpayev) in the application for a grant: 029.
Training of engineering and technical specialists in the field of ore processing, production of metals from ores, as well as in the sphere of changes in chemical composition, structure and properties of metal alloys, work in mining, metallurgical, gold and uranium industries. The program is accredited by ASIIN (Germany).
You will know technological processes and mechanical devices’ operation for minerals processing, mineral and techno genic raw materials, production and processing of ferrous and non-ferrous metals, products from them, as well as technological processes of mineral production.
You will master production skills relating metals from natural raw materials and other metal-containing products, production of alloys, metal processing, welding; also, you will study physical and chemical behavior of metals, intermetallic compounds and alloys, and master ore dressing technique as well. You will obtain skills to choose the technology of mineral processing and their basic parameters’ calculation, the main and auxiliary equipment layout, reading skills on technical drawings, equipment setup.
Educational program is adapted to the requirements of manufacturing sector due to containing 40% of general engineering disciplines in the given program. Graduates, having mastered fundamental general engineering disciplines, as well as the maximum set of specialized disciplines, receive "Bachelor of Engineering and Technology" qualification.
For specialization, you can choose one of the following learning pathways:
1. Extractive metallurgy is mining metallurgy, extracting metals from ore.
2. Physical metallurgy is the study related to physical state of metals, analysis of their properties, effects of various media, stress and pressure.
3. Technological metallurgy is the industry where metal parts are designed and manufactured.
4. Mineral processing is a set of processes for mineral raw materials’ primary processing, which result in the separation of all valuable minerals from waste rock, as well as mutual separation of valuable minerals. The products (concentrates) obtained, because of enrichment should meet technical and economic requirements of subsequent metallurgical processing.
The program provides for introductory, production and pre-diploma practice at “Kazatomprom”, “Kazakhmys”, “Kazzinc”, “Kazphosphate”, “Kazvtorchermet”, “Altyn almas”, “Arcelor Mittal Temirtau”, “Ust-Kamenogorsk Titanium-Magnesium Combine” JSC , “KAZ Minerals”, “KazFerroStal”, “TNK Kazchrome”, “ERG Research and Engineering Center” etc. enterprises.
The program provides international and domestic academic mobility. Over 30 international treaties on personnel training have been concluded with Moscow Technological University, Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys, Tomsk Polytechnic University, Colorado Mining School, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Aachen Reins-Westphalia Technical University, etc.
Graduates work at mining and metallurgical complex in engineering and working positions; at metallurgical enterprises; in design organizations; in metallurgical research centers and chemical industry. Career growth prospects happen from a worker to a general director of mining and processing or metallurgical plants.