Satbayev University is the largest technical higher educational institution in Kazakhstan, a scientific-educational complex with a well-developed infrastructure for scientific and innovative research and training of highly qualified personnel. Currently, work is underway to transform the university into the largest research hub in the Central Asian region.
Research activities at Satbayev University are aimed at developing fundamental and applied research in the high-tech technologies sphere and are focused on 10 research areas that are a priority for developing the economy of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
University is actively attracting private investment; uses public-private partnership tools, creating an effective "from scientific discovery to commercial results" technological corridor.
To create a breeding ground for generating innovations, University monitors and analyzes domestic and global trends in promoting science in University's core scientific-educational areas and creates motivating conditions for involving University employees and students in research work. University attracts funding for research in the core areas of University's work, assists in organizing international research together with leading universities and research centers around the world, and helps publish the results in foreign publications indexed in Web of Science and Scopus databases.
Currently, University is implementing 111 projects and scientific-technical programs funded from state and extra-budgetary funds, including projects on the following topics:
- Underground leaching of uranium using innovative biotechnological methods
- Modernization of technologies and production facilities in the mining and processing industries of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Developing the software package for 3D modeling, continuous monitoring, and forecasting of air pollution in densely populated and industrial areas
- Management of energy-saving modes of oil transportation through main oil pipelines using SCADA system
- Kazakhs in World war II: new documents from foreign archives
- Metal-containing ionic liquids for extractive desulfurization and dehydrogenation of motor fuels
- Protection device against unauthorized access
- Aluminum alloys with a nanostructured protective coating
Scientific and advanced research office
Satbayev University is the leading research technical University in the country. University has become a leading one in the field of scientific research due to active work with the real economy sector and government organizations. Research and innovation activities of the University are focused on fulfilling orders of state organizations through grant and program-targeted funding, as well as on close interaction with production. Laboratories and research staff of the University solve current problems of production within the framework of business affairs, research that contribute to production growth, its progress, and economic sustainability.
The office performs the functions of improving the competencies and skills of participants in the scientific process inside and outside the university. The activity of the Office is aimed at providing the necessary conditions for implementing research projects carried out within the framework of scientific and technical programs and grants funded on a competitive basis from the budget of research operators, formation and administrative support, and monitoring the process of implementing the research topics. Additional functions of the Office are developing technological partnerships between Satbayev University and industrial enterprises, commercialization of research projects and production organization based on them, the support of existing projects, and consultation of University researchers on organizational issues.
Office of patent and scientific publications
The main functions of the Office are to support and encourage inventive and patent activities, increase the publication activity of researchers and students of University, in particular:
- Presentation of patent and information support, consultation of University scientists and students on intellectual property protection;
- Providing methodological and administrative assistance at all stages of registration of an invention and obtaining a patent;
- Organization of financing related to the necessary expenses to obtain patents;
- Providing methodological and administrative assistance in the publication activity of scientific personnel by informing about the relevance of R & D topics, interacting with the editorial offices of scientific publications.
Research infrastructure of University
In addition to six research institutes operating within the university, Satbayev University has a rich research infrastructure. Most of the University's research work is carried out based on University research laboratories.
Satbayev University research infrastructure includes 16 research laboratories that study a wide range of current scientific problems in the fields from architecture to biotechnologies of mining, namely:
- Engineering profile laboratory
- National scientific laboratory for collective use of information and space technologies
- Operation of machinery and automation of manufacturing systems (IMIE)
- Digital technologies in mechanical engineering
- Design and installation of electronic devices
- Chemical synthesis and oil production
- Research laboratory of architecture and construction
- Research laboratory of “BMC Kazakhstan” bio-geo technology
- Innovative geological and mineralogical laboratory
- Fablab production laboratory
- Research and production laboratory "Modeling in energy"
- Information security
- Digital technologies in engineering
- Heat-pump technology and renewable energy
- Mechanics of machines and robots
Developments in the IT technologies sphere
Based on the National scientific laboratory for collective use of information and space technologies, that was created on RK President’s initiative, a unique complex of computing clusters – "Supercomputer" with a peak performance of 10.9 TFLOPS was launched. The laboratory specializes in developments in the field of cloud Analytics and artificial intelligence, solving resource-intensive computing tasks, and has the largest render farm in Kazakhstan.
Fab Lab center for electrical and mechanical engineering
University has a unique material and technical base, due to which, it is possible to produce almost any product in a single copy in a short time on the customer's instructions. Production is based on Fab Lab scientific and technical laboratory, which has the largest 3D printing center in Kazakhstan made of plastic (ABS), a 5-axis milling machine with software control of the latest generation and equipment that completely covers the entire production cycle of electronic boards.