Institute trains the architectural and construction elite of Kazakhstan. Students receive up-to-date knowledge in the field of architecture and design, urban planning, construction engineering, production of building materials and structures, transport construction, engineering systems and networks as well as occupational health and safety.
The institute history dates back to 1957, when, on the initiative of a major organizer of the construction business in the republic, one of the national architecture school founders Toleu Bassenov, as a result of his direct efforts within the mining faculty of Kazakh Mining and Metallurgical Institute (KazMMI), "Industrial and Civil Engineering" specialty was opened, and the first intake was carried out, in 1961 Civil Engineering Faculty with an architectural department was already established.
The first graduation of civil engineers took place in June 1962, many of the graduates later became prominent scientists, heads of major scientific and design institutes, construction departments of union and republican significance, ministers, heads of city and regional akimats. Among the graduates of Civil Engineering and Architecture Faculty at KazPTI are:
- Beyssenov K. - Deputy of Parliamen Majilis, Honorary Rector at Korkyt Ata Kyzylorda University, Doctor of technical sciences, Professor;
- Kusherbayev K.A. - Akim of Mangystau region;
- Adilov Zh.M. - Rector of KazNTU named after K.I. Satbayev (2008 - 2015), Doctor of Economics, Professor;
- Tatygulov A.Sh. - President of KAZGOR Design Academy;
- Ashimbayev M.U. - General Director of KazSRICA;
- Montakhayev K.Zh. - Laureate of the USSR State Prize, People's Architect of the USSR;
- Baymagambetov S.K. - Chief Architect of Almaty, RK Honored Architect;
- Fazylov S.A. - Chief Architect of Almaty, RK Honored Architect, Laureate of the Zhambyl International Prize.
Students receive the universal knowledge and skill demanded in the market to create and present the original design of buildings, to back it up with the calculation of structures, with the project of production organization and economic calculations. They have access to the latest information technologies: multimedia, software on IBM platform, calculation and graphics programs. Institute is focused on the search for new approaches in construction, and is one of the leaders of BIM technologies in Kazakhstan. Students participate in international competitions and win the contests.